This congregation was organized back in 1855, The group began outgrowing homes of members and started meeting in the Masonic Hall on the southwest corner of the square on Jefferson St.
Women of the church met together for tea, and the beginning of mission work was born. The first church was an oblong frame building. built at the corner of Third and Green at a cost of $6,000. The second and Jefferson St.Church was an imposing structure dedicated on Sept. 13, 1914 at a cost of $31,000. In 1953, a new wing was added for the purpose of providing additional classrooms. The wing was built joining the church at the southwest corner; it was completed in 1953 at a cost of $10,000.
Many factors entered into making the decision for still another move. The need for more parking space, stairs which caused restrictions for the handicapped, a need for expanded classrooms and general improvements to the building were among the main ones. Congregational action was taken on June 13, 1962 with the decision to relocate. In December of that year, the land which the church currently resides on East Ohio St. was approved for purchase and in November of 1962 a building campaign was held with the goal of $75,000. The building was completed at a cost of $280,000 not including furnishings. The building was completed in 1966. Many additions have been made to the grounds and inside since 1966. The present building will, no doubt, be renewed and repaired many times in the years to come with the same love and dedication by its members.